South Yorkshire Region Excellence Centre
The National Skills Academy for Health’s South Yorkshire Excellence Centre is jointly hosted by Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Doncaster and Bassetlaw NHS Foundation Trust. As the regional hub, we will be developing strong collaborations between training providers and healthcare employers from the public, independent and voluntary sectors to design and deliver new learning resources for healthcare support staff, share training expertise and make best use of skills development facilities.
Join the Excellence Centre network
To find out more about the benefits of joining the South Yorkshire Excellence Centre employer and training provider networks, please contact:
Network Services Manager
07717 540 569
The Excellence Centre Workstreams
There are six priority workstreams for the South Yorkshire Excellence Centre and each Workstream Lead is a representative from the South Yorkshire Region community of health and social care and also a member of the Excellence Centre Delivery Group. The workstreams are:
- Develop an Excellence Centre Apprenticeship Strategy (Workstream Lead: Helen Thomas, Rotherham General Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust)
- Implementation of the Care Certificate consistently across the Excellence Centre (Workstream Leads: Sue Sparks/Andrea Porritt, Rotherham, Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust)
- Develop the Excellence Centre Hub (Workstream Leads: Brian Burke & Ben Sewell, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust)
- Develop care pathways across primary and social care (Workstream Lead: Karen Milner, Doncaster Council)
- Support the development of the Primary Care Strategy (Workstream Leads: Louise Berwick & Sanni Khan, Advanced Training Practices in Primary Care)
- Facilitate partnership working with Colleges, Universities and other training providers (Workstream Lead: Sam Debbage, Doncaster & Bassetlaw NHS Foundation Trust)
How the Excellence Centre Model Works
National Skills Academy for Health Excellence Centres act as regional hubs to develop strong collaborations between training providers and healthcare employers from the public, independent and voluntary sectors.
Each Excellence Centre has a Regional Advisory Group, made up of employers and other stakeholders, which, in turn, work with the National Advisory Group. The groups collaborate to identify local and national training needs and design development solutions to improve the competencies of healthcare support workers.
Smaller healthcare organisations are a particular focus of engagement, with the development process aiming to reach out to a broad range of employers including hospices, care homes, dentists, GP surgeries and pharmacies.
The Excellence Centre launch
Over 80 healthcare employers and training providers (from across health and social care) attended the launch of the South Yorkshire Region Excellence Centre on Thursday 12 January 2017.
Our fantastic business admin teams (pictured above) were on-hand to ‘skilfully assist’ and ‘shepherd’ the delegates, and ensure the launch was also digital, with a high volume of ‘tweeting’! (#syrexctr)
The opening address was given by Candace Miller, Director, National Skills Academy for Health. Pictured below receiving the Plaque from Candace (in the centre), on behalf of the Excellence Centre Delivery Group are Linda Crofts (on the left), Head of Learning and Development, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Sam Debbage (on the right), Deputy Director of Education, Doncaster and Bassetlaw NHS Foundation Trust. For more information on the launch event – see our news section.