Advanced Care Planning
The Advanced Care Planning (ACP) toolkit is a complete teaching resource that enables in-house trainers to develop their own skills and knowledge and deliver a one-day training programme to staff and volunteers across their organisation.
The training programme is designed to help you build staff confidence, knowledge and skills in what can be a difficult and sensitive area of practice.
The ACP toolkit, written by end of life care specialists, includes a facilitator’s guide, PowerPoint presentations and a learner workbook. The workshop uses a variety of training tools and techniques to help keep learners engaged and enable them to participate fully.
What is Advance Care Planning
Advance Care Planning (ACP) is the process of discussion between an individual and his/her care provider(s). Advance Care Planning is to make clear a person's wishes in anticipation of a deterioration in their condition in the future.
All health and social care staff will have a role in this process but may feel they lack the knowledge and skills to do this. We have created a workshop to help with the aim to help build on existing skills and develop confidence in understanding ACP.
By the end of the workshop learners will understand:
- The importance of choice in advance planning for future and end of life care
- The key skills needed for effective communication
- How their role contributes to the ACP process
- How to use ACP documentation and resources
The programme is mapped against the Unit ‘Understanding Advance Care Planning’ (EOL 303) and learners can use their workbooks to evidence learning for future accreditation.
Who can purchase a licence?
The training programme is licensed by the National Skills Academy for Health and available exclusively through our Excellence Centres and delivery partners. Licences will only be awarded to organisations that are Quality Mark assured and who have demonstrated their commitment to quality and meeting the needs of the healthcare sector.
Benefits of purchasing a licence
By purchasing a licence to deliver the Advanced Care Planning workshop, organisations can access a range of benefits including:
- The confidence that you are using a package of quality assured training resources, prepared and tested by healthcare sector training experts
- National marketing and promotion by the Academy, directing enquiries exclusively to licence holders
- An easy mechanism for managing sales and recruiting learners to your courses via the Academy supported Skills Platform
- The knowledge that your training is always up-to-date. If any aspects of the workshop change during the period of the licence, we will provide you with updated course materials
From a facilitator’s perspective, the programme contains many useful teaching resources and helpful tips for effective programme delivery. It also provides the opportunity for the facilitator to further develop their facilitation skills and incorporate a range of different learning approaches to ensure their training programmes are fully inclusive and meet differing learner needs.