Become a healthcare apprentice
An apprenticeship gives you the opportunity to gain job-specific skills, earn a wage and study for a related qualification. Here's how it works:
The health sector offers hundreds of exciting opportunities with a variety of employers. There are apprenticeships to suit everyone, whether you want a rewarding job caring for patients, have an interest in catering or buildings management or want to work in a busy IT, finance, or administration department.
Take a look at the case studies below to see how an apprenticeship can open doors to a fulfilling career in the NHS.
- From apprentice health & social care assistant to healthcare assistant
- Accomplished Business Admin apprentice 'has potential to be the practice manager'
- A day in the life….of a healthcare apprentice!
- From apprenticeship to a career in the NHS: Two exciting journeys
- Apprentice proves to be a real asset for NHS Trust
- Why an Apprenticeship was for me
- More case studies...
For details of current apprenticeship opportuities and how to apply, visit the National Apprenticeship Service (NAS) website. For queries about vacancies, please contact the National Apprenticeship Service on 0800 100 900.
Careers in the healthcare sector
You can get information about training courses, job opportunities and careers in the health sector from the following sources:
- Teachers and careers advisors at your school or college – ask them about open days and the links they have with your local health services
- Health Careers - We recognise the health sector is wider than the NHS nowadays, but the Health Careers website will give you real insight into the types of work available with the UK's largest employer. Did you know there are more than 350 careers available? You can find out what the different roles involve and the training you'll need. You can also access information about NHS Careers from plotr.co.uk, the new careers platform for 11- to 24-year-olds.
- The National Careers Service website contains lots of information to help you plan your career and find a job. You can also access personalised help from a National Careers Service adviser. Job profiles for a wide range of health sector roles can be found in the Medicine and nursing and Medical technology sections.
- The National Apprenticeship Service provides information on apprenticeships in health, public services and care and details apprenticeship vacancies in your area
- Jobcentre Plus - Contact JobCentre Plus for information about its latest programmes and for help finding a job